Monday, September 14, 2009

I think I know so much

So. I'm feeling all cool and hip and like I have a clue what is going on because I discovered how to connect this to Facebook. But, it's just another posting. Somehow I have to get it sent to all my 'friends.' (Now those of you who really are my real-world friends, don't get all bent out of shape by the '...' around the work 'friend' but the reality is many of my Facebook friends are really acquaintances and some I've never met but know of them) And then I click on this thing at the bottom of my blog page, it says "Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)" and up comes this thing in Spanish. What the hell is that about. And then I click on "Other Blogs" and something about design comes up. Nice graphics and all, but why? And then I notice the "Label" at the bottom of my previous entry and it says "Every work counts." And it should say, Every word counts. And, now I'm not even sure what that means.

But the real issue I want to relate is how I do my morning writing. Many years ago (fifteen?), I read a book, The Vein of Gold, by Julia Cameron, the woman who wrote The Artist Way, and started that whole movement. She suggests writing three pages longhand every day as a discipline. I have been doing that, more or less, for all those years. Some days I don't do three pages, and recently the journals I've been writing in have been smaller than the 81/2 X 11 I started with. But I have been rigorous about it. She believes there is something about writing longhand rather than typing which fosters creativity. And, the idea is not to journal or diary but to WRITE. Whatever comes. (some people might consider that a kind of journal).

I am going to take a bold step here and beginning tomorrow, I am going to write my "pages" here. This may mean I have to do some self-editing. This may mean I'm not as "creative" as I would be if I didn't think someone else might read the stuff. But I'm going to do it for a week and see how it goes. If I'm going to have this blog, and eventually figure out how to invite people to read it, I might as well be doing some writing on it. So, tomorrow, between seven and seven-thirty, I will begin the experiment. I'll let you know how it's going-- that is, my assessment of how it compares to the freehand writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment